By Megan Michalenko–Loveland, Colorado … Amidst the uncertainty we are living in at the moment, it’s important to still have fun and enjoy the time we have off from our regular schedules. Whether it be taking up an old or new hobby or trying something new, having things to take your mind off of what’s happening in the world is healthy. When you feel sad or anxious, it’s good to get out of bed and do something!
To try and prevent being bored while being stuck at home, here are some of the things I’ve been doing:
- Bake something. Ask your family what dessert is their favorite and make it for them! Or make your own favorite treat from scratch!
- Cook dinner for your family. Make a dinner that you love for your whole family!
- Walk your dog. This is not only good for your dog, but it also benefits you! Listen to some music and enjoy being outside!
- Sit outside in the sun. We can all benefit from some vitamin d! Vitamin d is good for your mental health and immune system! You will feel good after sitting in the sun!
- Read a good book. We all have a book we’ve been wanting to read, well now’s the perfect time!
- Color. I think this is my personal favorite that I’ve picked up. Coloring is great to reduce anxiety! Here is a link for some really cute coloring sheets: https://mailchi.mp/54b513f6980a/new-coloring-pages-6383356?e=edf2e107d3
- Tie dye your clothes. Browse through your closet for anything white and in need of some color! Look online for tie dye kits that can be delivered!
- Create sidewalk chalk art. I’ve seen so many inspirational messages done with chalk when walking around my neighborhood!
- Go through stuff from when you were little. Reminiscing from when you were younger is always fun! Go through old pictures or keepsakes to remind yourself of good memories!
- Clean out your room and closet. Although we may not want to do this, cleaning is the perfect thing to keep your mind occupied.
- Exercise. You can follow a video or do your own thing!
- Have a spa day. Take the time to pamper yourself! Self care is important.
- Practice sports. Work on a skill you’ve always wanted to improve. You’ll be ready for tryouts next year!
- Practice instruments. This is a great time to learn a new song or technique on any instrument!
- Go on a bike ride. Great for clearing your head and exercise!
- Listen to an inspirational podcast. If you’re feeling unmotivated this is a way to be inspired!
- Write letters to your family and friends. Receiving a letter from a loved one is always special and will make someone’s day!
- Facetime a friend. Talking to friends is a good way to lift your spirits! It’s always good to catch up with a friend who you haven’t talked to in awhile.
- Get ahead on homework. With online school, try and get all your homework done once it’s assigned so that you can relax at night!
- Have a family movie night. Watching movies as a family is a great way to spend time together!
Megan Michalenko is student editor of Campion Academy’s This Week at Campion; photo supplied