Position Title: Department Assistant
Department/location: Planned Giving and Trust Services Department/Denver, Colorado
Immediate Supervisor: Department Associate Director
Supervisory Responsibilities None
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Wage Scale: Department Assistant, 61-73%; $19.84/ hour to $23.74/ hour- Starting salary will be based on relevant experience and/or education.
Posting End Date: July 1, 2021
The mission of the Rocky Mountain Conference is to lovingly support and empower every member in our conference to know Christ and to make Him fully known through education, outreach, and service, and by communicating hope and encouraging an intimate connection with each other and with Christ.
The Planned Giving and Trust Services Department Assistant is a trust certified position, providing administrative support to team members and guests, in compliance with General Conference requirements and accreditation standards. The employee is part of a team-oriented work environment where each member is responsible for being a team player and helping each member of the team as we pray, learn, and work together. The Department Assistant must acquire the certified trust officer credential granted through the General Conference Planned Giving and Trust Services Department within one year of employment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding all work-related matters.
- Answer Trust department main number and direct calls to appropriate individuals or take messages.
- Greet visitors, assess requests, and assist or delegate to Trust Officers in the office.
- Post USPS mail, including “certified” and “restricted”; occasionally prep UPS, FedEx.
- Scan documents (primarily client files) as needed into DocuWare system.
- Pull files for the Trust Officers as requested, making sure files are properly checked out.
- File and retrieve documents, records and reports, help locate files when needed.
- Help keep client file cabinets in order along with unlocking and/or locking them each day.
- Provide administrative support on an as needed basis to the Corporation Treasurer for Asset Management for routine Association Treasury administrative tasks (i.e. filing, letter preparation, and client follow up). When/if other needs arise, additional support must first be requested and approved by the department supervisor(s).
- Provide other assistance as may be determined by the directors from time to time.
- Actively evaluate and provide input for streamlining processes.
- Serve as a notary.
- Prep review packets for Trust Officer visits.
- Complete the Intake and Trust Acceptance Committee (TAC) process to support the Trust Officers.
- Prepare the TAC agenda and minutes.
- Serve as the Lead for MTF (Master Trust File) and 1DATA data entry and various reports. Update addresses in eAdventist membership database, as needed.
- Prepare and send Intake packets via email or USPS mail.
- Provide maturities and revocations lists to Trust Officers for committee acknowledgement vote.
- Process EIN (Employer Identification Number) and DBA (Doing Business As) applications for churches and schools; prepare 501(c)(3) packages as needed.
- Prepare correspondence, forms and other documents as directed for the following: trust revocations, to fund trust accounts, and to update accounts.
- Maintain the Trust department conference room calendar, and the Trust department gmail account (Estate Plan).
- Set up Zoom meetings as requested.
- Review client files; ongoing (Team goal: 320/year x 5 years = 1600 active files, which is 64/year/team member)
- Cross train with Admin Assistant as backup for the following tasks:
- Order department supplies such as letterhead, envelopes, file folders and other needs.
- Prepare department correspondence as directed, forms and other documents as directed (i.e. revolving fund endorsements).
- Mailings as necessary; Birthday letters; Christmas calendars
- Prepare inter-departmental form to update address information, as necessary. For MTF entry, Treasury, client file.
- Revise and update necessary internal forms to reflect policy changes.
The following Performance Factors are used during the annual review process to determine if the employee is meeting job expectations:
- Attendance and Punctuality: Employee can be depended on to be on time for work, meetings, work-related events, etc.
- Employee can be depended on to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Employee is flexible regarding work assignments and shows a willingness to lend a helping hand when needed.
- Employee communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with supervisors, colleagues, visitors, trustors, etc.
- Wears the Armor of the Fruit of the Spirit; the employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships.
- Employee commits to being a life-long learner and sets measurable goals (short- and long-term) for both personal and professional development/growth.
- Employee strives to excel in all work-related tasks and seeks to thoroughly understand job duties in order to proficiently serve trustors, co-workers and the Conference.
- Be a member in good standing of a church within the Rocky Mountain Conference (within six months if moving from outside the Conference’s territory)
- Faithfully return tithe to the Rocky Mountain Conference
- Four-year college degree preferred or equivalent experience in a direct or related field.
- Must maintain the certified trust officer credential granted through the General Conference Planned Giving and Trust Services Department to begin within one year of employment. This certification provides a thorough knowledge of General Conference mandated policies and procedures under which the department operates. It further assumes a good working knowledge of general principles and documents used in the creation and settlement of estates, and the ability to effectively communicate general information to clients regarding these issues. (The training is offered in the fall each year.)
- Must be or be able to become a Colorado Notary Public as soon as possible after hire.
- Proven track record with organization and detail.
- Ability to work with multiple projects simultaneously.
- Computers and Electronics—Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Access. Ability to use standard office equipment.
- Administration and Management—Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service—Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes needs assessment and meeting quality standards for services. Ability to maintain neatness and order, organization and a pleasant disposition in dealing with others.
- Wills and Trusts—Experience with estate planning documents and probate proceedings is preferred. Must possess a clear understanding of what constitutes a need for legal counsel.
- Paralegal background and/or experience preferred.
- Competencies (skills and personal characteristics that an individual should possess in order to be successful in this position)
- Detail oriented
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Job motivation/initiative
- Life-long learner
- Cooperation/ability to work with others on a team
Typical Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear, see, walk, bend, kneel, reach (into file cabinets for example) and occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Employee often works at a desk, using a computer, keyboard and mouse for extended periods of time. Must be able to type and create/view/read/modify information and documents on a computer screen. The employee is frequently required to use stairs. Must be able to effectively communicate in English both orally and in writing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the Rocky Mountain Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Employees are missionaries, demonstrating a desire and a commitment to sharing the love of Christ. Every act should be seen as a way to witness.
Essential responsibilities are performed primarily in a sedentary and comfortable manner. Tasks are usually performed under normal office conditions with little or no noticeable discomfort. Work area is well lighted and ventilated.
The position is a full-time, hourly position with an expectation of 38 hours per week (Monday–Thursday, 7:30am–5:30pm or an alternate schedule that has been pre-approved by the direct supervisor). On occasion, evening and/or weekend hours may be required. This position is eligible for overtime when more than 12 hours are worked in a single day or more than 40 hours in a single week. There is no averaging of hours of two or more weeks. The workweek for overtime purposes is defined as Sunday through Saturday. All overtime hours must be pre-approved by the department director.
Please Note: The statements found in this job description are meant to describe the overall general nature and level of the work performed by an employee functioning in this position. The tasks, duties, responsibilities, functions, skills, talents, etc. outlined in the description is not an exhaustive list and should not be construed as such. Rocky Mountain Conference Administration reserves the right to modify this job description as/when needed in order to fulfill the mission of the Conference.
If interested, please apply here.
This position qualifies for the following employee benefits:
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Employer Contributions (Basic and Matching) and a Retirement Allowance at retirement, if applicable.
- Service Credit
- Life Insurance—Basic, Supplemental, Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-term disability per RMC policy (Family Medical Leave)
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Paid time off accrual in the form of vacation and sick time and paid holidays (as listed in employee handbook).
- Christmas Bonus per policy